Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Switch to basic Medishield

Dear Mr. Tan,

My wife and I are both retirees. We both have Enhanced Incomeshiled & Plus Rider.

For the coming insurance year, we will be paying premiums $517 & $311 (payable by Medisave) for Enhanced Incomeshield and $304 & $224 (payable by cash) for Plus Rider for myself & my wife respectively.

I shall be grateful for your advice whether we need such insurance which I consider rather expensive. Or alternatively should we switch to the basic Medishield offered by CPF. If so, how do we go about doing that?

REPLY

I think that basic Medishield is adequate for retirees, provided that you are willing to be treated in B2 ward. The premium is much lower than a private Shield plan. You can pay the Deductible out of Medisave. Read this FAQ:

http://www.tankinlian.com/faq/shield.html

You can contact CPF to switch to basic Medishield.