Thursday, August 7, 2008

Benefit illustration

Hi Mr. Tan,

I am 20 this year. I had just graduated from diploma and had just starting my first career. Being the breadwinner of the house, I think having a insurance/policy will be safer. I am currently thinking which type of policy should I take. However I am kind of confused. After reading through your website and blog, I get exposed to more information which I neglect previously. However there are still several question which i will like to clarify with you.

Is cash value equivalent to surrender value Where can I fine the cash value in my benefit illustration ? What is gross yield and net yield? Where can I find the gross yield and net yield in my benefit illustration ?

REPLY
Cash value is the same as surrender value. The gross yield is the yield that the insurance company expects to earn by investing your premium. This yield is not guaranteed. The net yield is the yield that you can earn (not guaranteed) after the charges have been deducted by the insurance company.

You should ask the insurance agent to show you these figures in the benefit illustration.

Due to the high charges, a life insurance policy gives a poor yield. It is better to buy a Term insurance and invest the difference in a low cost fund. This is explained in this FAQ:
http://www.tankinlian.com/faq/fptips.html