Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Effect of Deduction

Dear Sir,

I have an enquiry to make regarding the Effect of Deduction after reading your blog. I took out my policy and I am pretty stunned to see the amount that is written under the effects of deduction.

My annual premium is $3,000 and assuming that I live till 65, it will be a full 44 years. I was 21 when I signed the plan.

Looking at it, Total premium paid is $132,000, total distribution cost is $5468, Non-Guaranteed Cash Value at 5% is 205,600 and at 9% 691,800. Effects of deduction is $882,776. I was not told about the effects of deduction when I signed up the plan and looking at it, I am pretty much being shortchanged for the amount of money that I put in.

Kindly advise on what should I do.

REPLY

You can write a letter of complaint to the deputy managing director in charge of market conduct in MAS, as shown below.
http://app.sgdi.gov.sg/listing_expand.asp?agency_subtype=dept&agency_id=0000008384-

The agent has a duty to disclose and explain this important point to the policyholder. It is shocking that the Effect of Deduction is higher than the Cash Value (assuming an investment yield of 9%).