Saturday, August 9, 2008

Invest in the Exchange Traded Fund

Dear Mr.Tan,

I am new to investing and will like to start investing after getting my bonus next month. I read some of your blogs and the Exchange Traded Funds seems like a good choice. I am interested in investing in ETFs but not familiar with the process. How much do i need to invest in ETFs? Can i do the investment on my own or through a broker? I do not have any trading accounts, do i need to get a trading account first?

REPLY
If you go through a stockbroker, you need about $3000 to buy 1000 shares of ETF.

If you wish to invest in smaller amounts, you can go through Philips Securities. They have a plan to allow you to invest monthly, but they impose a monthly charge. I do not know the details. You can ask Philipps Securities.