Sunday, September 14, 2008

Is your money safe with AIA ?

Several AIA policyholders have asked my advice. They are worried that AIA may be affected by the collapse of AIG. They asked if they should surrender their AIA policy now and receive the surrender value now.

My advice is:

> AIA has a separate policyholder's fund covering its liability to its policyholders in Singapore.
> To my knowledge, this fund is solvent and is not affected by the problem faced by AIG
> There is no need to panic and surrender the AIA policies at this time
> Even if this fund is in trouble, there is a Policyholder's Guarantee Fund managed by MAS that can take care of most of the liability (maybe 90% or more).
> It is better to wait for any official announcement from MAS

I hope that my comments are correct and can help to allay the fears of AIA policyholders.