Thursday, September 4, 2008

Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT)

Dear Mr. Tan,

I was previously an insurance agent and a salaried agency supervisor with two different insurance companies. From my experience, I have learned to be less than enthusiastic about the so-called prestige of the MDRT (Million Dollar Round Table). In fact, I might even have been sceptical.

The MDRT measures an insurance agent by the first year commission earned on new policies sold. It equates equates more commission earned to being more successful and prestigious. As a sales motivation, , it drives the agents to earn higher incomes. However, it may also tempt many agents into dubious practices in pursuit of qualification for membership.

I feel that to the ultimate consumer, the insurance client, buying a policy from an agent who makes $30,000 p.a. is no different from buying from an agent who makes $300,000 p.a., as long as it's a suitable policy. Just a suggestion. I hope that you may like comment on the MDRT in your blog.

REPLY
You have already made the point well. I have no further comments.