Friday, September 19, 2008

Pinnacle Notes

Hi Mr. Tan,
I invested in Pinnacle notes series 6. The arranger is Morgan Stanley and the 6 reference entity are Bank of America, Citigroup Inc, DBS, Singtel, OCBC and UOB.


Should I continue to hold on to the notes or cash out? If I cash out now, I will get only 34.07% of our total principal. I know that the health of Morgan Stanley is crucial to the survival of this Note. With so much uncertainty in the market, is it better to take a loss now?

REPLY
In my view, and it is just my guess, Morgan Stanley will not face the same fate as Lehman Brothers. The six reference entitles appear to be all right. The rescue package being arranged by the Fed and Treasury in USA is likely to prevent other big failures. It is not worth while to sell the Pinnacle Notes at a loss of 65% at this time.