Friday, October 3, 2008

Capital protection is not "capital guaranteed"

Dear Mr Tan,

I have invest in DBS Note 10 by Capitaland recently. The consultant told me this note are like bond type which are low risk and principal protected unless Capitaland file for bankruptcy.

I am worried now with all these events like DBS note 5 and minibonds. Is it true this note 10 is principal protected? Please advise.


I call my DBS consultant to check if i sell how much will I get back. She replied I can only take back 90% of the amount that i invested. Can you advise me what should I do as I have little knowledge on investment. Should I sell or hold?

REPLY
I am not able to give advice on whether to hold or sell. You have to make your own decision, as it is your money.

Capital protected means that they will "try" to protect your capital and is not the same as "capital guaranteed".