Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fight for the weak

Some journalists asked, "Mr. Tan, what is your motivation to help the investors?"

I wonder why it is necesary for the journalists to ask this question. Should any action be subject to this type of suspicion? Are we such a selfish society that everyone can only work for their self interest and for personal gains?

I replied, "I see so many people who have lost their hard earned savings, and their life savings, in financial products that are not suitable for them. The financial institution who recommended and sold these products should come forward and bear some of the loss. They cannot keep the gains that they have made, and just said, 'Let's move on'.

I hope that, in the future, more Singaporeans will come forward and fight for the weak, and for people who are the victims of wrong doing. We cannot just stand back and watch idly, while other people suffer. We should not be so selfish, that we can only think of our personal interest. "

A reader of my blog, posting under the name of SiewKhim, even asked this question in an insulting way, implying that I am acting dishonourably. I refused to publish his comment due to its defamatory nature. Anyway, SiewKhim has been creating trouble for me many times before.