Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pinnacle Notes - lodge a complaint now

Dear Mr. Tan,
I met the RM of my bank and asked about the Pinnacle Notes. The RM said that there is no problem with the Pinnacle Notes now, and if the reference entity does not "credit event", I will be able to get back 100% of my invested sum.

I asked about the price of the Pinnacle Notes now, but the RM said that I should sell but wait until maturity to get back 100%. Is this correct?

REPLY
You should ask the relationship manager to put the assurance in writing that 100% of the invested sum will be paid back on the maturity date, if there is no credit event involving any of the reference entities.

It is better for you to lodge a complaint now about mis-selling, as the price of the Pinnacle Notes have dropped significantly and you these notes may default before the maturity date. Even if there is no default, you may get less than 100%.