Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bonus is likely to remain low

I organised a collective protest against the bonus cut made by NTUC Income earlier this year. I reached a settlement as follows:
http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/search?q=collective+protest+settlement

I promised policyholders that I would monitor the situation and give an update.

Recently, I decided to surrender my Living policy, which was affected by the bonus cut. I received a surrender value that included the special bonus to compensate for the bonus cut. In this case, I was slightly better off (with the special bonus included).

During the past six months, there has been turmoil in the financial market resulting in a large markdown of asset prices. I do not know whether the "compensating" special bonus will be withdrawn or reduced in the next few years of the global financial crisis.

Earlier, I wanted to press for the bonus cuts in past years to be restored due to the good financial results up to 2007. With the large drop in asset price in 2008, it will now be difficult to press for this measure. It is also likely that future bonus will remain at a low level, until after the global economy has recovered.

On the bright side, the cash value of a life insurance policy remain largely protection (although the yield is low) during a bad period. It does not suffer the capital loss that comes from shares and other investments.