Saturday, November 15, 2008

High risk is not disclosed in Prospectus

Dear Mr Tan,

I am one of the Pinncle Note investors. As I am working in a Financial Institution, I can't be considered as a vunerable group. But honestly, I am not aware of the extremely high level of risk associated with such notes. The risk of default is way beyond the basket of blue-chip reference entities.

I received a letter from the bank that I bought the note, together with a letter from Pinncle Performance Limited informing that credit rating assigned by Fitch has been downgraded to "B-" (Rating Watch: Negative) due to the credit events occured in respect of Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, Federal National Mortgage Association, Glitnir banki hg, Kaupthing banki hf and Landsbanki Islands hf.

When I bought the note, I was told that the note is credit-linked to these reference entities: Standard Chartered bank, HSBC Bank PLC, Bank of China Limited, The Korea Development Bank, Malayan Banking Berhard, DBS Bank, United Overseas Bank Ltd.

I am really surprised to see Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, Federal National Mortgage Association, Glitnir banki hg, Kaupthing banki hf and Landsbanki Islands hf. appearing on the letter.

I looked through the Base Prospectus of the notes dated 7 Aug 2006 and I can't find the above toxic entities mentioned.

Is this sufficient ground to argue that the arranger or the FI has misold the product or have not fully disclosed the details of this products? Not sure how many other such toxic entities are associated with the notes. I would certainly have thought twice if the risk is beyond the 7 blue-chip banks as mentioned in the brochure.

REPLY

I believe that you have sufficient grounds. I suggest that you prepare a statutory declaration to support your complaint. Read the instructions in my blog:

http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2008/10/general-advice-to-investors-of.htmlhttp://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2008/10/affidavit-statement-made-under-oath.htmlhttp://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2008/10/individual-advice.html