Sunday, December 7, 2008

Adviser is required to disclose and explain the charge

Dear Mr. Tan

I wanted to terminate my ID2 and was told that I have to pay a charge of 15% of the premium for 5 years, making a total of 75%. I was not aware of this charge, which was not disclosed to me by the adviser. Is it true that I have to pay this charge? Is it a fair charge?

REPLY
During my time, I recall that the charge for ID2 is 15% for 3 years only. The total of 45% was much lower than an average of 150% charged in the market. I was not aware that the charge has been increased to 15% for 5 years. You can check with the adviser.

If you have not been informed by the adviser about the charge at the time that you bought the policy, you can lodge a complaint with MAS. The adviser is required to disclose and explain the charge to you, as set out in A5 of Q8 in this attached document from MAS:

http://www.moneysense.gov.sg/publications/guides_publications/Consumer_Portal_FAAGuide.html