Saturday, December 6, 2008

Two sources of loss on your investment

Hi Mr. Tan,

I was surfing the internet and came across your website. Recently, I feel very depressed becuase I realised I was conned by my own advisor who is also a friend of mine. I trusted her too much. I bought a few policies with her. Due to the bad market situation, I lost $X (my hard-earned money) for investing in unit trusts.

I would like to check with you on what I should do. The following is what i bought from her in 2006/2007:

(details deleted)

For the whole life policy, I have to pay 18 months of premiums to pay for her service. I really didn't know that till I clicked on the Askdrmoney link on your website.

For the pure unit trust with no insurance. I put in $1800 to try to average out the prices of my unit prices due to recession. I'm paying 3% for the comission. Now my unit trusts dropped from $Y to $Z. I feel stupid for paying 3% commission. So I terminated the monthly contribution of $1,800. Have i done the right thing?

After reading your website, i realised my agent really earning a lot. She can go for holiday every year. e.g. she just came back from California. As for me, I saved every single cent of my money...

I feel so frustrated that I really feel like terminating every single policy that i bought fr her. Should I do that?

D

REPLY

The loss that you have incurred come from the following sources:

a) Paper loss on your investments, due to the fall in the market
b) Loss due to the expenses charges deducted from your life insurance policies.

For (a), you will recover the paper loss when the market recovers in a few years' time. As a long term investor, you can wait for a better time to realise your investment.

For (b), you have already incurred the expense charges in the past. You should consider if the future expense charges compared to the alternative types of investments. If most of the charges have already been deducted, it is better to keep the investments and look towards the future. If there are still heavy charges to be deducted from the future, you can terminate the policies.

You should make your decision after getting the relevant facts.

If you need independent financial advice and is willing to pay a modest fee, you can consult the following:
http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2008/12/financial-advice-for-fee.html