Sunday, March 22, 2009

Financial planning for newborn

Hi Mr. Tan,
I'm doing some financial/insurance planning for my newborn. I plan to purchase a Vivolife Policy (Sum Assured: $50K), with monthly premium of $86 payable over 10 years. And another term insurance (Sum Assumed: $100K), with monthly premium of $12. Is it recommended to do so?

In addition, to start a saving plan to accumulate his education fund in 20 years time. I would need some advise on which is the better option below;

Option 1: Monthly premium of $100 into Investment-Linked Product or Endowment Plan (PayMyUni under Income) ?
Option 2: Initial sum of $5K for Investment-Linked Product, with yearly top-up of $1K. Btw, which is the product worth investing in?
Option 3: Lump sum of $10K into SAIL (Income Policy), with projected return of $24K in 20 years.

REPLY
I am not familiar with the Vivolife product, but I understand that it has high charges (to pay commission to the agent) and gives a poor return to the policyholder. You can search my blog for comments from people who are familiar with this product.

Read this FAQ about saving for your child's education.