Tuesday, March 24, 2009

NTUC is less pro-society now

Hi Kin Lian,
Are you aware of how NTUC Insurance has evolved since you left?

I entered the industry (as an independent advisor) the same year you left NTUC in 2007. I'm a newbie here. But it does not prevent me from observing (with a sigh), that NTUC, the company you led for a long time, has changed since you left - from an organisation that prides itself for being pro-society to a somewhat changed "organism".

NTUC used to be tolerant towards people whose health are not in "tip-top" conditions. I attribute it to its role of being a pro-society co-operative, putting more emphasis in social goodness rather than profit/loss (that's what the guys there always say). It's a humane organisation.

Of course, ultimately bottomline counts. But now, for unknown reasons, the same organisation is suddenly turning its back on the people it's supposed to serve. So much so that it has tightened its procedures so drastically, resulting in people being rendered uninsurable for slight ailments, ie, not in tip-top conditions. It wants to have a sure-win situation?

That's why I say its a systemic problem. Because if this toughness continues, many Singaporeans, especially the older folks, will be without insurance/ medical coverages. Imagine how huge an issue it can be, in an era of aging population, increasing medical expenses etc. I can't comment whether it's due to a change in management philosophy. But for any person who cares (& I think you might), I would say that this is a Mini-bond in the making. Some time, some how, things will blow up. And it can be quite disasterous.

REPLY
I suggest that you write to the secretary general of NTUC, Mr. Lim Swee Say. I hope that he will respond to your feedback.