Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Erosion of ethics and honesty

Previously, we can trust business to be ethical and honest. The standard of ethics has deteriorated much in recent years. Many oraganisations think about profits and do not hesitate to cheat their customers.

I received a cheque in payment of providing a service. I did not bank in the check and it expired after six months. 

I sent an email to ask for a replacement cheque. I did not get any reply. I sent a hard copy letter by post. I did not get any reply. I did not get the replacement cheque. Another six months had passed.

I suspect that the accounts staff of this large and respected organisation probably felt that it was all right for the company to write back the forfeited amount as its profits. This is a very sad state of affairs.

Tan Kin Lian