Sunday, June 14, 2009

Going overseas for further studies

Hi Mr Tan,
I am 20 years old and looking to enrol at a local university. However, I couldn't get into the course I prefer. I am now looking to study in Australia.

1) Based on my calculation, I will probably accumulate a personal debt of A$60,000at the age of 24. Assuming that I can get a job and pay S$1,400 toward clearing the debt, I'll be 28 yrs old by that time.

2) If I stay in Singapore to study the course (Maths and Economics) that I am not too keen on. I'll be about 26 yrs old, debt-free.

Which is better?


REPLY
I usually discourage students from incurring a large debt for overseas studies. I know of many students who are not able to get a good paying job after they get an overseas degree. It will take a long time for them to repay the loan.

If you have a place in a local university, the cost is lower, but you have to like the course that you are taking. I find Mathmatics and Economics to be a good course, but perhaps it appeals to some students and not to others. You may be able to find another course that you like from a local university?

I believe that a hard working, well educated student with a good attitude can do well in the job market without an university degree. I suggest that you consider working as well.