Friday, June 26, 2009

Quality of life in Ipoh

Hi Mr Tan,
I went to Ipoh yesterday to visit the cave temples. I enjoyed myself very much there. Things are so cheap and with the limestone hills as a backdrop and low storied buildings, there is such a huge expanse of sky over you.

Here you really feel that there are other ways to live other the life I know, and it can be so pleasant and enjoyable.

From Jusco I tried to take a cab to the bus terminal. The taxi driver wanted to overcharge me so I decided to walk back. I thought it would be good to see the hills grow dark as night fell.

Unfortunately as night fell, I lost my bearings. Luckily, I was picked up by a retired police officer who delivered me to the bus terminalI treated him to a meal. He told me that he retired at 40 and is now a used car dealer. He is doing very well, enough to play an expensive game of polo on horseback every month.

I envied him. He took pride in his job as a police officer and is enjoying his life. I do not think such a quality of life is achieveable in Singapore. It echoed the taxi driver in Penang who said, "Singapore is a place where you make money and get out". He had worked in Singapore as a SBS driver.

I'm thinking of buying a place in Ipoh in the future!

REPLY
Thank you for telling me about your visit to Ipoh (which I last visited 35 years ago). I will be visiting Penang, Ipoh and Kedah next month. My friend in Kedah will take me around.

I agree with your views about the nice pace of life in Ipoh. But many people in Ipoh seemed to take a different view, as they leave this town to work in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.