Monday, September 14, 2009

Agent fail to explain the upfront charges

Hi Mr Tan
I have a question related to my ILP policy bought from X in late November 2005. My yearly payment is S$1800 with protection of S$80K death and S$100K critical illness. The agent said it is very cheap for the protection but she did not mention the huge charges of 85% for 1st year, 50% for 2nd year and 25% for 3rd year. After 3 years later, then I realize my cash value only left less than 1k. My husband also bought a ILP from her too. May I have your opinion that should I continue these policies.

REPLY
You have already incurred the upfront charge. So, it is better to carry on the policy, as the charges from now onwards is relatively modest. But you can lodge a complaint to X against the conduct of the agent in failing to tell you the relevant facts.