Saturday, October 3, 2009

High cost of switching funds

Dear Mr. Tan
I am currently on an Asset Builder plan. The agent has recently contacted me to
switch to another fund for better return, with one-time sale charge of 4%. The additional service provided is that the agent will switch the funds on my behalf, so that I do not have to monitor my investments. Is this true ? How can I monitor the funds by myself?

REPLY
Each time that you switched funds, you suffer a loss of 4%. A large part of this fee is paid as a commission to the agent. It is unlikely for any person to advice you on how to switch funds and earn an additional 4% to cover the front end fee.

There is no need to monitor your investments. You should invest for the long term and avoid the costly switches. You should consider making a complaint for this type of bad advice.