Sunday, November 1, 2009

Better, faster and more

Someone asked my views about the slogan "cheaper, better and faster" to ensure that the workers in Singapore will continue to have jobs in the competitive global environment.

My first thought was, "this is an innovative slogan". However, on further analysis, I am worried about this slogan. If our workers can be cheaper, better and faster, surely this will lead to more profits. Will the workers have any share in this profit? But the slogan said that the workers will be "cheaper", i.e. earn less.

I think that the slogan should be "better, faster and more". "More" means that the workers can earn more by helping to produce the increased profits when they are "better and faster".

I also believe that there should be a balance between "working harder" and "have a better quality of life". There is no point in working too hard at the expense of health and family.

Tan Kin Lian