Sunday, January 17, 2010

Get the Benefit Illustration

A few people have asked me quite difficult questions on the life insurance policies that have been marketed to them. They ask, "is it all right to invest in the policy?"

Quite often, the policies are specific to the company that has offered it. I am not aware about the features of the policies, or the charges that are being taken away from the premiums that have to be paid. I know that, in most cases, the charges are excessive and the insurance policy represents a bad investment for the consumer, but I am not able to give a conclusive view, without the underlying facts.

My reply to the consumer is, "get the Benefit Illustration and send it to me". With the Benefit Illustration, I can point out the key points in the policy and how consumers are being overcharged, or "ripped off".

A few consumers who sent their Benefit Illustrations to me in the past were shocked that a large part of the potential investment gain was taken away from them, and this was not explained by the financial adviser who sold the policy to them. When they learn about it, it was already too late.

If you want my views, send the Benefit Illustration to me.

Tan Kin Lian