Monday, January 4, 2010

Price of new HDB flat

I wanted to carry out some research into the cost of a new HDB flat, to see if it is still affordable. I had a difficult time to get the relevant information.

I visited the HDB website to find out what is the price of a new flat. I found this page but could not get the information that is needed. I was only able to find the prices of resale flats here. I don't know why HDB don't want to publish the price for new flats in a similar table, as this is helpful to home seekers.

After some effort, I was able to find some information about new flat prices from the HDB annual report but I was quite surprised at the wide range of prices (difference of up to 50%) for the same type of flat in the same estate within a period of one year.

Maybe, HDB wants to peg its place for new flats based on the market price for resale flat and for new home owners to be given a housing grant. I did some search for this grant and came to this page. It seems to be quite complicated to find out about the amount of housing grant that the buyer can get.

I do not know why buying a new HDB flat should be made some complicated, with no published price list for new flats and a complicated structure for the housing grant. I am afraid that, with this type of complexity, many people will not be able to make a sensible decision about getting the flat that they can afford, which is convenient for them to live in.  It would be better if things are made simpler, so that the ordinary people can make the right decisions.

Tan Kin Lian