Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Financial institution benefited from the settlement

Hi Mr Tan,
I am happy to hear that the residual value for Minibonds are finally out and for some Series, the value are surprisngly as high as more than 70%.

However, I questioned the fair deal in MAS for handling the whole saga. Many victims, whom I know, were awarded less than 50% after the judgement in Fidrec. They had transferred all the Minibonds to the FIs. In that case, should Singapore FIs gain from this saga ? Unlike HK, the FIs have to refund back to and not profit from anything. What should we do in this case ?

For my case, it is very clear in the ground of hearing (verdict) that Maybank did mis-sell the Minibonds to me. Now, with all my Minibonds transferred to Maybank, as ordered by Fidrec's judge, Maybank is better off than me. In additional to the costs I have to pay Fidrec, we have to go through all the stress through the hearing, but end up less well of than FI. What should victims like us do ?


REPLY
You should ask the Financial Institution to refund the difference back to you. It is only fair and honorable for them to accede to your request.