Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Giving up an existing investment-linked policy

Dear Mr Tan,
I currently have an investment link life policy. I calculate my loss to be $6000. I decide to surrender this policy and take up term insurance. Is my decision to surrender this policy a wise choice? Should I buy the term insurance from Aviva or NTUC?

REPLY
Normally, it is better to continue an existing policy, rather than to terminate it, as you have already incurred the upfront cost. However, you should look at the continuing cost, before you take your decision.

I suggest that you ask both Avivia and NTUC Income to give you a quote for the term insurance. You can compare the premium rates and make your decision based on the facts.

You can get more guidance from my book, Practical Guide on Financial Planning. It can be bought here:
http://projects.easyapps.sg/iShop/public/common/Order.aspx