Monday, March 15, 2010

Professional fees and moral values

Several months ago, I received a letter from a big legal firm in Singapore threatening to take legal action against me for posting an article in my blog about a land banking company. The article was reproduced from the website of a UK newspaper. The article made several allegations about the operations of this land banking company that operates in Singapore.

The letter from the lawyer asked me to prove the facts that were contained in my blog. I asked if their client had written to the UK newspaper to correct the facts, but they refused to answer my question and continued to threaten and harass me.

When I related this matter to a friend, she asked the question, "Does this reputable legal firm feel ashamed of acting for a company that goes about to cheat the public?" Some time later, the legal firm suddenly dropped the matter for reasons that are not clear to me.

I now read a report about Lehman Brothers and the large fees earned by their auditors and lawyers in helping to hide the facts about the financial situation of the company during its last few months. Are the fees for these reputable firms more important than moral and ethical values?

Tan Kin Lian