Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pain of separation

As I was entering the departure hall at Jakarta Airport, I saw a scene that touched my heart. A little girl (maybe 5 years old) was crying loudly. She was clinging to her father who was leaving Indonesia, probably to work overseas. Her grand parents were trying to console her.

I was very sad that families had to be broken in this manner and that the parents had to be separated from their small children to work overseas. Many of these parents are working in Singapore as domestic maids and foreign workers. Many employers do not like their maids to use the telephone as they may "cause trouble". The maids are also discouraged to telephone to their families at home.

I hope that the employers realise that these maids and foreign workers have family and children back at home. Let us help them to lessen their pain of being separated from their family.

Tan Kin Lian