Monday, July 12, 2010

Commercial company and opt-out

Dear Mr. Tan
My company (a SME) just received a letter from Singapore Information Services Pte Ltd (the company doing Yellow Pages). Please see letter attached.

The letter seems to imply that I must pay the charges ($1 per day) unless I "call, email or fax" by 31 Jul 2010. I did not remember paying anything in previous years or having any business relationship with them. I can understand if the government uses this "opt-out" scheme for administrative efficiency, but this is a profit-making private company!

I suppose if I ignore the letter, there will be another letter later on demanding payment. How many SME owners will be mislead or just pay to avoid trouble!

My question is
a) How can a big established company like Singapore Information Services employ such sales tactic?
b) Isn't CASE supposed to be looking after the interest of consumers?



Huang HW