Saturday, July 3, 2010

Invest in STI ETF

Dear Mr Tan,
I have read through some of the articles on your blog and am very impressed by your investment knowledge. I heard from my Income agent that you are very experienced with investment and gives excellent advice.

I have a savings account with Standard Chartered and would like to start investing in unit trust. From your experience, what is the difference between investing through the bank or through those brokerage firm like Phillips Securities?

Many people told me to invest in STI ETF, is it unit trust and is it a good time to invest now? How about REITS? Are these unit trusts?

Josephine

REPLY
STI ETF is for long term investment. If you invest your monthly savings, anytime is a good time. Do not try to time the market. If it better to buy through a stockbroker, rather than a bank. Philips Securities is okay. It is also all right to invest in unit trust, provided that the expense ratio is less than 1%.

Do not invest in an insurance policy as the "effect of deduction" is too high, giving you a poor return. Read my book, Practical Guide on Financial Plannng, available at www.easysearch.sg/ishop.