Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Risk profiling

The so-called investment profiling test offered by banks to customers appears to be nothing more than a marketing tool that allows people to feel good about investing in some products.

The tests are supposed to establish whether a certain investor has the experience, ability and knowledge to invest in riskier products such as the infamous Lehman minibonds.
But from White Collar's experience such profiling is next to useless. When I visited one bank a few years ago to organise a time deposit, I was asked to consider an alternative that could give me a higher return - I was being pushed down the road of riskier investments.

I was also asked to do a profiling test. White Collar did the test - which asked you how many times you have traded stocks, as well as where you go for holidays. On the basis of that I was labelled as a medium risk taker - and they attempted to sell me a type of structured product that just happened to be the bank's promotional sale of the month.