Friday, August 6, 2010

Marketing flyers

Read this letter.

My view
I receive several marketing flyers every day from property agents trying to sell properties that I am not interested in or asking me to sell my property, which I am also not interested in. I throw away these marketing flyers without looking at them. I also ignore the flyers on new property launches of residential, commercial and industrial estates.

It is so wasteful to be spending so much money on marketing materials that go into the waste basket. The people who make money are the printers and the distributors of the materials. The property agents do not mind wasting this money, because they can make a big killing when the close a transaction, i.e. a few thousand dollars or tens of thousand. They only need to close one transaction every few months to earn a living.

Another wasteful practice is the marketing flyers sent by banks with their monthly statements and credit card statements.

Why is Singapore so wasteful? Why should the public pay so much in commission to the property agent? This inefficiency and wastefulness adds to the cost of living and the cost of doing business.

Tan Kin Lian