Sunday, November 21, 2010

Skyway in Manila

I am now in Manila to speak at a seminar. On the way to the hotel, the limousine went up a road called the "Skyway". It is an elevated highway. There is no toll fee. The skyway is not congested and the traffic flows smoothly. Most cars use the ground level road as they travel a short distance and have to make turns. The skyway is useful for long distance travel.

14 years ago, I suggested to the Minister for Transport to build a second level expressway above the Central Expressway. This would be suitable for long distance travel and would relief the congestion on the CTE. He consulted his engineers and replied that there were technical constraints. They did not want to talk to me. I disagreed with the assessment, but did not wish to pursue the matter.

I believe that the elevated highway is a good approach to relief the traffic congestion and should be considered as a possible solution.

Tan Kin Lian