Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Act with honor and integrity

I find it despicable for a corporation to impose a charge on an unsuspecting consumer and to waive the charge when the consumer finds out and make a protest. The corporation is behaving like a crook, without honor and integrity.

I was in Suntec Mall. A young man approached me to get me to subscribe for a credit card. He showed me a free gift. The annual fee is waived for the first year.

I asked, "What is the annual fee after the first year? ". He replied "aah, uuh, aah ...... $190". I walked away. He said "nobody pays the renewal fee. If you call the bank, they will waive it". I know that the bank will waive the annual fee for consumers who knows about it and who have the clout. They hope to make the fee on the unsuspecting  consumers who did not notice the charge or do not have the clout. I find this practice to be despicable, just like stealing. I refused to take the credit card.

I am writing with this strong language, knowing that some of my blog visitors are from the banks and are involved in this despicable practice. I hope that they agree with me, and will pass this message to their management. I also know that people from MAS read my blog. I hope that they will pass the message to their management also, so that they can take steps to get our banks and corporations to be more honorable in their dealings - and stop behaving like crooks.

Tan Kin Lian