Monday, January 10, 2011

A terrible place - Singapore

Singapore is a terrible place to do business. I have to pay $3,500 to a professional engineer to certify that the renovation to my office meets "fire safety standards". This is a ransom fee for a simple piece of work, but I paid. My appointed contractor had to get the stamp from the professional engineer and to apply for a permit from the management office (of the developer) before he can start work. After wasting time for more than three weeks, the contractor still cannot start work. Meanwhile, time is running out, as I have to vacate my current office.

Besides paying a big ransom, I have to suffer a long delay. I had written to the Pro-Enterprise Panel on this matter. They replied that they were consuling the relevant department but did not come back with a reply after several weeks. Is this just for show?

Tan Kin Lian