Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bad experience with UOB Bank

I was given a UOB Bank Infinite Visa card in 2006. There was waiver of the annual fee for the initial years. In November 2009, UOB deducted $1,500 in annual fee on the card, without telling me. I did not notice the deduction in the bill and only found out one month later. I called their hotline. They volunteered to refund the $1,500 to me (before I ask about it). I wanted to cancel the card on the next renewal date, but they volunteered to renew it for another year with fee waiver.

This year, I gave written instruction that they are not to renew my card without my approval of the annual fee. UOB replied that they are not able to accede to my request. It is a condition of the credit card that it will be automatically renewed and the annual fee is $1,500. I gave instruction to cancel the card on its expiry at the end of October.

UOB Bank cancelled the card immediately, without telling me. I only knew about it when my payment of an airline ticket was rejected. This give me a bad impression of the service provided by UOB Bank.

Tan Kin Lian