Friday, April 8, 2011

Booking a flight

I wanted to book a flight to Vancouver for the last week of May. I searched Singapore Airlines and was surprised to find an economy ticket cost over $5,000. I asked my travel agent to source for a budget ticket.

I decided to search Google for air tickets from Singapore to Vancouver  (to get a benchmark to compare the price sourced by my travel agent). I found a link to sg.webjet.com.sg. It was easy to navigate. It showed the available airlines and the travelling time. Here are the search results.

Several airlines offered a return economy ticket from $1,600 to $2,000, before the processing fee of 6% payable to Webjet. It also showed the travel time of the flights, which ranged from 20 to 32 hours per trip.

With this information, my preference is for Cathay Airways due to its wide choice (in case of last minute change of schedule), short travelling time (around 20 hours) and acceptable price (around $2,200, inclusive of the fee payable to Webjet). This price is less than half of Singapore Airlines.

I find the presentation by Webjet to be excellent. It is better than Zuji (which I used previously).

Tan Kin Lian