Thursday, April 7, 2011

Malicious spyware - Internet Protection

I am now suffering from a malicious spyware called Internet Protection. It was installed into my laptop without my approval and could not be removed. It keeps popping up at frequent interval, asking to be activated at a hefty fee.

This is clearly a attempt to cheat consumers. I am now taking steps to remove this spyware, but it is quite difficult.

I wonder if there is any law in Singapore that will declare this type of activity to be illegal. Clearly, it is a person who intrudes into any person's domain (i.e laptop) without permission, with the intent to cheat.  Furthermore, it is causing a big nuisance by making it difficult to be removed. If this is illegal, there must be a place that such criminal activity should be reported and an attempt by the authority to stop it.

I know that it is difficult to trace the identity of the intruder, but this is a separate matter. I read that in some countries, the authority will try to stop it within their powers. For example, they could mount a counter attack against the source of this illegal activity.

Tan Kin Lian