Monday, June 27, 2011

Nuclear energy

Hi Mr Tan, Thank you for your courage to step forth to be counted as one of the Presidential hopefuls. I wish you all the best in this fight to be the President of Singapore.

I have a pertinent question.

What is your stand on nuclear energy? The PM has said that we have to "study nuclear option". We know that in Singapore, that is a euphemism for "we will do it". Nuclear energy implementation take time to research and build. This matter will definitely be tabled within the next term of the new President.

Would you care to share your thoughts on your blog regarding this matter? What role do you think the President's role will be to support or veto this initiative? 




Chris Chan

Dear Chris Chan,
I think that the President does not have any authority to veto this initiative.

Personally, I do not know the seriousness of the danger of using nuclear energy in a small and densely populated place like Singapore. If I were to be in charge, e.g. as the prime minister, I would ask for the views and recommendations of the experts and weigh the pros and cons carefully.