Sunday, July 10, 2011

My views of National Service - two sides

During my time as CEO of NTUC Income, I supported National Service in the following ways:
  • I gave priority to reservist training. All employees had to report for reservist training as required by SAF, i.e. NO request for deferment. 
  • NTUC Income actively participated in SAF Day to recognize the contribution of NSmen
  • NTUC Income was recognised for the Most Supportive Employee by SAF for many years
During the same period, I also wrote several letters to the newspapers to ask for the burden of national service to be fairly shared by males, females and non-citizens. I also spoke to many MPs and ministers. I once raised this matter in a private conversation with the then Defense Minister.

Read this previous posting.

I supported the need to defend the nation, but wished to see the burden spread fairly among the people.

Tan Kin Lian