Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Homeowners Insurance Not Cover Many Types of Damage

Homeowners Insurance Not Cover Many Types of Damage

Every year in every state, property owners, many of which found that insurance policy that the landlord will not pay when their home was destroyed by geological processes such as earthquakes, soil, expansive, floods, hurricanes, landslides and subsidence. These homeowners might have the impression that the "total disaster" insurance policies, they will pay for almost any type of damage that they will be exposed to. But I feel the same way when I bought my first home owners insurance policy. I remember a prominent agent told me that it was a "total disaster" and feel good about that. I do not read policies word by word to see what it really covers - the previous policy of insurance issued by 50 leading companies in the insurance industry? Everyone assumed that they will cover everything. A few years later to work as a geologist who brought me in contact with the owners of many homes that do not fit together when their homes have been damaged by flooding, landslides, subsidence and other problems, I was surprised at that. Many people have been urged to ensure the rough.not by the company that I tend to think that the leaders of the indusstry insurance. "The thing that we do not cover." One day, I send my insurance company's policy is revised, and I decided to take a little time reading it. I want to find out if your policy will cover the same threat that I see others suffering? Sure enough, the policy statement, except that very clear. The list of exceptions is almost identical to the subject of environmental geology textbook. Have coverage for landslides, floods, mine subsidence, mud slides, mud flows, volcanic eruption, surface water, waste water, and a long list of other problems are not. I have looked in the statements excluded from homeowner's insurance policy number and my personal opinion is that the typical homeowner's insurance policy is not much more than fire and liability policy limits. - and some areas may be damaged by objects falling and the wind. Your homeowners insurance might not cover even half of what you think it will. Lessons that will take away from this. "Learning about geology before you buy a house" if the house has some of the geological risk, you should not buy it. You should know exactly what your risk and insurance to provide cover for themn or living in the house to inform you of your touch. Below I have done my best to summarize what many homeowners policies do not cover and provide links to more detailed information. To learn more on these topics can be found by reading books about environmental geology and environmental geology at the University. For specific information contact the website you can consult a geologist or geological exploration services in areas where housing is located. Earthquake insurance. Typical homeowners insurance policies do not cover damage from earthquakes. Homeowners in need of protection is normally required to purchase "a disaster" policy - a policy of insurance, earthquake. One way to do this is to ask your homeowners insurance agent if your policy provides coverage for earthquake.In some geographic areas, earthquake insurance is available through government-sponsored programs such as earthquakes in California. Many insurance agents can advise you about our company and the government provided protection against earthquakes in your area. Question many people ask the landlord is. "Do I need earthquake insurance?" There are a few situations where homeowners have earthquake insurance in order to comply with the requirements of a mortgage. But for most people the answer depends on where home is and the level of risk that homeowners will be willing to take. Small map on the right shows the geographical variability of the earthquake hazard. White areas on these maps are the least dangerous and most red zone. Earthquake insurance can be a very good idea in red and orange. If I lived in these areas, I will buy insurance. It is thought wise in the yellow area. The danger of an earthquake is reduced in the area of ​​green, blue and white, if you live in one of these areas and want the peace of mind that you receive financial protection in case of damage and insurance to buy. good I live in southwestern Pennsylvania and did not have earthquake insurance - maybe I will not regret one day