Sunday, November 13, 2011

Blind adherence to rules

I am worried about several negative aspects of the Singapore mindset. One is the blind adherence to rules. We follow rules blindly and are not prepared to make exceptions, even when the consequence is negligible and helps to remove stress for other people.

Recently, I have to make the final payment for the purchase of my office. I have to apply for a cashier order (i.e. the vendor's lawyer will not accept my company's cheque). I also have to visit my lawyer's office with the company stamp and with the secretary to sign the documents in front of the lawyer. Why are all these requirements necessary? The roads were congested and there were insufficient parking space in the lawyer's office - so this requirement adds to the hassle and the cost.

The lawyer's assistant checked the cashier order thoroughly and found that the amount was short by 2 cents. Sorry, the cashier order cannot be accepted. She called the lawyer for the vendor who said that the amount has to be exact. I was asked to apply for another cashier order and to make another appointment to finalise the formalities. I lost my temper.

Finally, they agreed to take my 10 cents in coin to make up the difference. This will save me the cost of another cashier order (I don't know how much I am being fleeced) and a lot of money and hassle to make another trip.

I have seen so many examples of blind adherence to rules in Singapore. I am worried for the future of our country.