Thursday, November 17, 2011

The world’s local bank... but I wish it wasn’t!

Contributed by Anthony Hobrow


I am trying to get my partner a joint bank account with me and a credit card. This will take two weeks the bank says. BUT worse is that the bank regards this as a new relationship requiring another minimum holding of S$200,000. This is for a customer who has been loyal to this bank for 43 years!! So if I complied I would have S$400,000 on deposit with this bank, earning almost zero interest. Luckily I had my London branch manager fix it for me and I have not had to do the deposits. I am not sure it is good that this bank is the world’s local bank – it seems to me they are hugely better in London than here in Singapore. Ten days on and I still don’t have the new cards or accounts!!


They even told me I couldn’t change my relationship manager unless I started a new account. Believe me, we have no relationship and a fresh start with someone new is in the interests of both me and the bank!


Anthony Hobrow
Direct Asia