Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A good settlement?

Dear Mr Tan

I thought that it may be useful to let you know that I have just obtained a verbal offer from X Bank to buy back the Minibond investment (Series 2) that was sold me in 2006. The buyback price is (details deleted .....................).

The bank has requested that I not make this details public for now (.... as they have to sort out some other matters). I am writing to inform you of this to let you know that your actions have resulted in a positive outcome in my situtation. I hope this encourages you to continue your good work for the rest of those affected.

At the same time, I hope that you can (without revealing details of the offer made to me) stress to all affected parties to work closely with the banks concerned in reaching a settlement. I am concerned because I noticed from the comments in your blog that many are disillussioned and are now focusing their energy on the legal action option, rather than working with the banks for a resolution.

Back to my situation, I know that you are very busy with many emails, but if you could find the time, could I ask if there are any concerns that I should have or if there are implications to such a settlement proposed by X? Is it necessary to consult with a lawyer before deciding on whether to accept the settlement?

Once again, my heartfelt thanks for everything that you have done.

Regards