Thursday, October 23, 2008

High risk, absymal return

Dear Kin Lian

You are certainly doing a great job for the community by bravely taking side against the establishments. If not for your effort at galvanizing support and media coverage I am sure the response by the banks will have been different.

My heart goes out to all the investors who have bought these derivatives without understanding the associated risks. I do not expect the vast majority of them to even have an inkling that these products can be so risky. After all when one steps into a bank and is told by their staffs that they have a very "safe" product to sell which yields higher than deposit rates then of course many will be simply sold by the fact that they are dealing with a reputable bank that will not dupe them.

I myself have been approached many time by staffs of banks wishing to sell me "products that are high yielding and safe." When I queried them further on their products abysmal return versus the risk they were unable to answer me. I guess they are only repeating what they have been taught not what they should know. I do not blame the staffs as most of the products they are selling have so many clauses, technicalities and conditions that they themselves are overwhelmed. I think the banks who sold these products should bear responsibility for any and all losses incurred by investors.

Well done and keep up the excellent work.

Paul (a fund manager)