Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Poor payout on Anticipated Endowment policy

Dear Mr Tan,
My dad has bought a 20 Year Modified Anticipated Endowment Policy in 1988 and his policy matured in August 2008.

After calculating the total amount of 5 yearly and maturity payout by the insurance company, we realize that the total payout of $11,000 is less than the total premium of $15,000 paid over 20 years.

He recalled in the 20 years, he has received payout of bonus every 5 years and the total bonus received is around $11,000 but he has already paid about $15,000 in premium for his endowment policy.

We cannot understand why he is making a loss with this endowment policy. I have writtent to the insurance company to ask for an explanation and have not heard from then yet.

As a layman, we do not understand how it works and I thought with your wealth of knowledge on insurance, you may be able to explain to us why my dad made a loss with this Anticipated Endowment policy. I sincerely hope you can also advise me on the next course of action.

REPLY
You can lodge a compliant with the CEO of the insurance company. In my view, the total payout should be more than the total premiums.

If they do not give you a satisfactory answer, you can file a complaint with FiDREC, www.fidrec.com.sg.