Monday, October 6, 2008

Reduced bonus under Income policies

Dear Mr. Tan,

With the fall in the global stockmarket, should I cancel my NTUC policies and take out the cash value. The bonus was cut this year. Can I ask NTUC to keep its promise and pay the higher bonus before the cut?

REPLY
If you decide to surrender the Income policy, you will get the cash value that is not less than the cash value before the bonus cut. Income has promised that they will declare a higher rate of special bonus for the current year that will compensate for the cut in the annual bonus. This guarantee is valid for the current one or two years only (I am not sure about the duration).

In the future years, there is no such guarantee. If the special bonus is cut, you will suffer a reduction in cash value, due to the lower rate of annual bonus. If you do not need the life insurance protection, it is better to surrender the policies now, and take out the cash value.

I am likely (but have not made a final decision) to surrender my existing policies, so that it wil lnot be affected by the lower rates of bonus in the future.