Sunday, October 19, 2008

Tips from an ex-financial adviser

Dear Mr. Tan,
I used to work as an independent Financial Advisor. I wish to share my views on Insurance and Investment. I have now left the industry.

Protection Coverage
1) I believe that a person should buy some limited life insurance coverage for $100 k.
2) The rest should be based on group term insurance.
3) I was being taught the cover for critical illness, disability and death should be 10 times of your annual income, or at least $ 400k.

Investment
1) I believe that the best kind of investment is still unit trust, which allows good diversification. It is best to buy through an online portal and to avoid any financial advisor, thus saving on the commission.

3) It is better to have a regular saving plan and cost averaging.

M