Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ask for information in writing

Dear Mr. Tan,

I hve invested into Jubilee Series 8 Notes which will mature in 2.5 yrs time in Jan 2011. A fix rate of 3.15% per year is paid. The arranger of the Notes is Merrill Lynch who has since taken over by BOA. The trustee is HSBC Institutional Trust Services (S) Ltd. Currently the value of the Notes is 84% of the purchase price.

I have asked the RM many times but he is also not sure where the money is invested in and whether the Notes will default since more and more bad news are disclosed nowadays. I asked for the prospectus from the RM and took pain to go thru' the 100 pages but just not understand at all. I has no choice but to visit one of the branch and one of the RM verbally told me that it is invested in Merrill Lynch's bond.

I hope you can assist by enlightening me the following:-
a. where the money is invested in?
b. I understand that BOA is taking over Merrill Lynch. Could BOA just take over Merrill Lynch's assets but not its liabilities? If this is possible, then I think most likely the Notes will terminate and worthless.

REPLY
I am at a lost. There are so many series and each series is different from the other series.

I suggest that you should ask the issuer (Merill Lynch) to give you the reply to your questions in writing. If they do not, you should lodge a complaint with MAS.