Friday, July 9, 2010

Views of young people

Here are some views of your young people, in response to the survey

1. Leaders should engage their people more. PMETs may have good ideas which may be implemented to benefit everyone, such as education, transport and work-life balance. Show us believable statistics instead of numbers made from thin air. 
2. Life looks bleak for me, so I won't marry or have children. I don't even know I can survive in five years time, most probably would get retrenched or replaced by foreigners. 

3. Politicians tend to avoid recessions to remain in power. We should have gone into a healthier recession instead of opening the floodgates to foreigners to boost GDP numbers. I feel betrayed by the government and I am suffering from overcrowding and higher costs of living.

4. Nurses still can get a job, not much of a problem here. 

5. No bonding left with Singapore. The PAP and system has shown me the truth -- You die your business. Whatever emotional ties I had with S'pore had been mercilessly cut during 2 years of slogging NS being tekaned while my foreigner classmates happily enjoy their 3-month holidays after A-levels and then straightaway go into NUS / NTU / SMU on subsidised school fees or even free scholarships. Plus seeing my 40+ and 50+ year-old relatives getting retrenched and having to take on $1K or $1.2K jobs even though they have polytechnic diplomas or many years of practical experience and know-how.

The Singapore system has only succeeded in turning all of us into self-centred bastards. Those who enjoy the privileges of the elite-class will want to stay on and lord it over the masses, squeezing them for more GDP growth. Those who are not elites just end-up fighting each other for scraps of garbage in order to survive. Those who can get off this god-forsaken mudhole will do so without remorse or hesitation. It is truly You Die Your Business!! 

6. This country disadvantages it citizens in the mindless pursuit of ever increasing GDP. How that GDP benefits locals is any one's guess, as the GINI coefficient seems to be ever widening.

7. Please provide more options.
My job pays quite well - Strongly DISAGREE
My pay is adequate for the cost of living - Strongly DISAGREE
I find the HDB flat to be affordable - Strongly DISAGREE

8. It is one thing to be proud of our country and be disgusted at your government.